Scholarships are funds for college expenses that do not have to be repaid and are often based on merit, personal interests or background.
Scholarships can be awarded by corporations, non-profit organizations and individuals. Some might pay for a large part of the cost of education, others might be for a few hundred dollars. All scholarships are worth applying for as they reduce the cost of education.
Scholarships for Foster Youth
Many campuses have special scholarships or financial aid packages available for current and former foster youth. Contact staff at foster youth campus support programs to find what options may available.
- Who qualifies: Must be a high school senior with a GPA between 2.3-3.2, attending school in Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, or Riverside County completing high school in Spring 2017. May be currently or formerly on probation. Deadline: 4/15/17
- To apply: http://unstoppableawards.org/apply/
Dare to Dream Scholarship
- Who qualifies: Must be under 25 years of age as of April 1 of year of application, with minimum of 2.0 GPA. Current or former foster youth living in or from Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa and Solano Counties.
- To apply: https://www.voa-ncnn.org/dare-to-dream-scholarship-program
- Who qualifies: Must be under the age of 25 as of March 31st of year of application. Must have been in foster care 12 months prior to 18th birthday OR been adopted/assigned legal guardian AFTER turning 16 years of age.
- To apply: http://www.fc2success.org/our-programs/information-for-students/
- Who qualifies: Must have had ward of court status just prior to turning 18. Have at least a 2.0 GPA.
- To apply: https://www.thenf.org/scholarships/
United Friends of the Children
United Friends of the Children maintains a website with scholarship links specific to foster youth in the Los Angeles area. To view the list CLICK HERE.
Other Useful Resources
- 10 Best Scholarship Sites from USA Today
- Financial Aid for Disabled Students: A listing of numerous scholarship options for students with disabilities that range from national financial aid opportunities to local opportunities within the United States and Canada
- GoodCall Scholarship Search
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund