Financial Aid and Foster Care After 18 Payments

If you are enrolled in Foster Care After 18 (sometimes referred to as AB 12 or extended foster care) and you are in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP), you may receive payments directly each month. This money does not need to be reported on your FAFSA as income and therefore doesn’t impact how much aid you can get.

  • What it means: Since you do not have to report these payments as income on the FAFSA, you may qualify for more financial aid
  • Who qualifies: Enrollees in Foster Care after 18
  • What to do: Do not include these payments as part of your income on the FAFSA
  • For more info: CLICK HERE to read the guidance from the U.S. Department of Education or CLICK HERE for a summary of the guidance